WHAT: Pens & the Post: Collect, Correspond, Celebrate!WHEN: Saturday, May 29, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. WHERE: Smithsonian National Postal Museum, 2 Massachusetts Ave. NE
The National Postal Museum, along with the Pen Collectors of America and Fahrney's Pens, are hosting "Pens & the Post: Collect, Correspond, Celebrate!" Pens, postage and mail have long gone hand in hand. Explore the shared history of pens and mail with the whole family.
The following activities taking place throughout the day:
- Make a creative card to send to a friend with young designer Sophia Breuer
- Watch an expert calligraphy demonstration by expert calligrapher Deborah Basel
- Take a fancy fountain pen for a spin at the "Pen Petting Zoo" provided by Fahrney's Pens
- Sample a rainbow of ink colors with John Bosley, author of Vintage Inks
- Try out beautiful papers from plain to posh with handwriting specialist Nan Barchowsky
- Just in time for Memorial Day, pen a letter to U.S. military members and learn about World War II-era correspondence.
- Meet the Pen Collectors of America and find out more about the pen collecting community
- See a pen set belonging to President Franklin D. Roosevelt and beautiful stamps featuring pens and handwriting in a scavenger hunt
Short workshops provide the opportunity to learn from the experts and try new skills:
- 11:30 a.m. - Pens for Kids Workshop presented by the Pen Collectors of America
- 12:30 p.m. - Cursive for Kids Workshop presented by Fahrney's Pens
- 1:30 p.m. - Pens for Kids Workshop presented by the Pen Collectors of America
- 2:30 p.m. - The Glory of Pen Collecting presented by the Pen Collectors of America